Victor Peperzak obtained his PhD at the Netherlands Cancer Institute (NKI) in Amsterdam examining the underlying mechanisms of T cell co-stimulation. He subsequently moved to the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute (WEHI) in Melbourne, Australia, as a postdoctoral fellow to study the role of pro-survival protein MCL-1 in healthy germinal center B cells and plasma cells. This research line was continued at the AMC in Amsterdam, further studying the regulation of MCL-1 in malignant B cells. He is currently a Principal Investigator at the Laboratory of Translation Immunology of the UMCU in Utrecht focussing on the development of novel drugs that target malignant B cells and multiple myeloma cells.
- Regulation of (malignant) B cell survival
- Protein biology (protein turnover and genetic regulation)
Personal Fellowships & Awards
- MMRF research fellow award (2010-2011)
- EMBO long-term fellowship (2010-2012)
- ASI new investigator award (2012)
- NWO-VENI (ZonMw) personal grant (2013-2016)
- KWF/Alpe d’Huzes Bas Mulder Award (2015-2021)
- Functional disparities among BCL-2 members in tonsillar and leukemic B-cell subsets assessed by BH3-mimetic profiling. Peperzak V, Slinger E, Ter Burg J, Eldering E. Cell Death Differ. 2016; Sep 30 [Epub ahead of print].
- MCL-1 is required throughout B-cell development and its loss sensitizes specific B-cell subsets to inhibition of BCL-2 or BCL-XL. Vikström IB, Slomp A, Carrington EM, Moesbergen LM, Chang C, Kelly GL, Glaser SP, Jansen JH, Leusen JH, Strasser A, Huang DC, Lew AM, Tarlinton DM*, Peperzak V*. Cell Death Dis. 2016;7(8):e2345.
- Mcl-1 is essential for the survival of plasma cells. Peperzak V*, Vikström I*, Walker J, Glaser SP, LePage M, Coquery CM, Erickson LD, Fairfax K, Mackay F, Strasser A, Nutt SL, Tarlinton DM. Nat Immunol. 2013;14(3):290-297.
- Through a glass less darkly: apoptosis and the germinal center response to antigen. Peperzak V, Vikstrom IB, Tarlinton DM. Immunol Rev. 2012;247(1):93-106.
- Mcl-1 is essential for germinal center formation and B cell memory. Vikstrom I, Carotta S, Lüthje K, Peperzak V, Jost PJ, Glaser S, Busslinger M, Bouillet P, Strasser A, Nutt SL, Tarlinton DM. Science 2010;330(6007):3817-27.
ASSOCIATED TEAM MEMBERS
- Laura Moesbergen (senior analist)
- Anne Slomp (PhD student)
- Ingrid Spaan (PhD student)
- Sanne Kroos (MSc student)